Diabetes is nothing but a ride on a roller coaster, you experience and monitor the level of blood sugar level. Do you know the fact that diabetes may lead to heart attack? This is why it is advised by doctors to regulate the blood sugar level of the body by taking proper medication and following a healthy diet.
A diabetes test plays a vital role in managing diabetes and preventing any complications. You can also test your blood sugar level at your home through an electronic device known as a sugar meter.
Importance of Blood Sugar Test
A blood sugar test is required for diabetes management and monitors the effect of diabetic medication on the body. It also identifies the blood sugar level, whether it is high or low. A diabetes test helps in tracking your progress in reaching the goal.
How often you should go for a blood sugar test?
It depends upon the condition of diabetes, if there is a high risk then it is required for you to go for a test at least once a day. Sometimes, it might also increase to 7 times a day. If you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, then you might check your blood sugar level 4 to 10 times a day.
You can either rely on a sugar meter or a trusted diagnostic center for a diabetes test. If you are looking for a diabetes test, you may rely upon the trusted doctors of Redcliffe Labs.
The doctors may suggest you the following test:
- Random Blood Sugar Test: A blood sample is collected to test the blood sugar level of the body.
- Oral Glucose Tolerant Test: If you have to fast overnight before going for the test. You need to drink a sugary liquid which helps to measure the blood sugar level for 2 hours periodically.
- Fasting blood sugar test: As the name suggests, you need to fast overnight for a fasting blood sugar test.
- Initial Glucose Challenge Test: The test begins by taking a glucose solution and after one hour the blood is tested for detecting the level of sugar in the body. A higher level of sugar implies a higher risk of gestational diabetes.
- Follow-up glucose tolerance test: You will be asked to fast overnight and then you have to drink a sweet solution for measuring the blood sugar level of the body. Repeat the test after an interval of one year to see the level of sugar in the body.
A healthy diet and regular exercise help you to control the level of sugar in the body. Include foods that are rich in protein, and fiber, and excuse sugar from your diet. Aerobic exercise or light exercise maintains the level of sugar.
Foods that control the blood sugar level of the Body
- Vegetables: Include more onions, mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes, sprouts, and zucchini in your diet. Leafy vegetables like spinach and kale should also be part of your diet to regulate the blood sugar level of the body.
- Fruits: Include berries, and melons in your fruit salad to maintain the blood sugar level. A healthy diet or a balanced diet is essential for the overall functioning of the body.
- Fats: Fats should also be considered but healthy fats like olive oil, fatty fish, and avocado should be included.
- Lentils and fibrous foods: Including lentils and fibrous foods like peas, lentils, and corns. Dairy products like yogurt and milk also help in regulating the level of sugar.
There are no permanent cures for diabetes but yes you can reduce the effect of diabetes on the body and its symptoms. For doing so, you need to follow a proper diet and must go for a health check-up and blood sugar test as well to be in a healthy state. A blood sugar test will give you the details on any fluctuating level of blood sugar in the body.
Redcliffe Labs is the one-stop solution as you get a variety of health check-up packages to improve your health condition. Contact them today and get a free consultation from the doctors.