Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) refers to mental instability leading to impulsive decisions and hyperactivity. It is a neurodevelopmental disorder that can impede the learning process. The person is not able to concentrate on a single task and is easily distracted. The disorder can cause impediments in everyday activities thus, one should consult and seek help from a Psychologist in Lahore.
What factors cause ADHD in adults?
Children with ADHD without treatment can have issues when they become older. Hence, it is important to treat ADHD to function well in all aspects of life. The factors that are known to contribute towards ADHD in adults include:
- Genes: People with a history of family members diagnosed with ADHD are more prone to be diagnosed with it.
- Fluctuation in Dopamine Levels: Dopamine is the neurotransmitter primarily responsible for transferring signals from nerve to nerve. Reduction in dopamine can cause hindrance in movement and other emotional responses.
- Brain and Less Gray Matter: People with less gray matter volume in the brain are prone to be diagnosed with ADHD. The brain area with gray matter is responsible for various functions such as speech, making decisions, and muscle control.
What are the symptoms indicating ADHD in adults?
The symptoms of ADHD in adults are:
- The person is not able to focus and complete tasks. Moreover, it is difficult for them to listen and pay attention to the conversation with others.
- It is difficult for them to stay organized. They are not able to prioritize rationally, which leads to anxiousness.
- They are not able to manage their time. Procrastination and leaving the tasks in the middle becomes normal.
- They are impulsive in their behavior. The person is unable to let others speak and may act without being rational while socially interacting with others.
- The person cannot able to regulate their emotions that may have an adverse impact on personal and professional relationships.
- The adults with ADHD physically exhibit their anxiousness which includes moving around, difficulty in sitting on a particular spot, tapping their feet and hands constantly, and shifting from one place to another.
- The adults with ADHD ignore their physical health, have a poor lifestyle, and neglect exercise and usage of medication.
How can the person be diagnosed with ADHD?
The diagnosis is based on various testing, behavior with peers and caregivers, and using a standardized behavior rating scale and later evaluating them according to diagnostic and statistical manual 5. The process of diagnosing can take up to 6 months.
What are the treatments that can help the person with ADHD?
After the diagnoses, the treatment offered to help adults with ADHD includes:
CBT: Cognitive behavioral therapy helps the person understand and train to cope with his symptoms by acting rationally in situations
Change in Lifestyle: Talk therapy helps the person understand the significance of maintaining a healthy sleep routine, balance his diet, and try to manage the stress to maintain balance the mechanisms of the body.
Use of medication: Antidepressants and CNS stimulants may be prescribed to increase dopamine.
Adults with ADHD can have difficulty in maintaining relationships and completing everyday tasks, causing distress. If one suspects anyone or himself going through it should consult a Psychologist in Karachi.