Adult diapers also called briefs and incontinence pads, provide an excellent solution for many individuals. Adult diapers are available in various forms, including pull-up versions and diapers with tabs. The pull-up version is a less bulky absorbent undergarment. It fits like underwear, whereas diapers with tabs are ideal for those who hold difficulty standing to put them on or for those cared for by a caregiver. In the year 2018, the worldwide global adult diapers market size was evaluated at USD 11.55 billion and is forecasted to achieve USD 19.77 billion by 2026, revealing a CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period.
Fortunately, this article will help you determine the basic steps you need to follow so that this job can be performed effortlessly and efficiently.
Suppliers Required to Change Incontinence Pads:
The best thing is that adult diapers are commercially available, or you can also search adult diapers near me to determine the local stores that sell briefs. Ensure to have all these suppliers available so that you don’t have to search for the things in the middle of the process.
- The accurate size of diapers
- Vinyl, synthetic, latex, or nitrite gloves in your size
- Wet/Dry Wipes
- Hand cleanser
- Skin protection barrier cream
- Trash bag
- Disposable or washable linen
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash your Hands and Keep Your Supplies Ready
Start the process by cleaning your hands to avoid transferring bacteria. After that, put on your disposable gloves to safeguard your hands against human fluids.
On the other hand, you require a fresh pair of diapers that holds the same size, a towel, or a disposable blue pad to gather the waste and ensure that the sheet is clean. You also require a dustbin to dump the old diaper and a protective moisture barrier cream. Such creams safeguard the individuals from wetness after changing the diaper.
- Untie the Side of the Tapes
Gently open the sides of the diapers and cautiously roll the person away from you. Then, place the towel to protect the bedsheet. In case the person has had defecated, try to get as much as you can out with the help of wipes. Ensure to dry the skin well; meanwhile, change your gloves.
- Remove the Diaper
Take out the diapers with the help of a front-to-back motion. Drag it out by the person’s legs towards their backside, and then fold it up to hide the mess. Discard the diaper while placing it on the plastic grocery sack to get rid of the smell.
- Finish Cleaning Up
Take a fresh piece of clean wipe to finish wiping up the individual. Remember to ensure the individual is entirely clean before starting the next step. If the wipe comes out clean, the person is all clean and ready for the next step. It’s significant to go gentle while wiping, particularly if they are older adults, as their skin tends to be more delicate.
- Let the Person Air Dry
Now that you have assured the individual is clean, it’s time to let the area air-dry for a minute. Keep in mind you are not supposed to put a new diaper on while the person is still wet.
Key Points to Keep in Mind While Changing the briefs of an Individual:
- It’s always a great start to have a positive attitude while dealing with patients. Perhaps you sometimes don’t feel like doing such kinds of tasks. However, keep in mind that patients will never be made to feel embarrassed or like to be bothered. So, ensure to be kind and soft while dealing with them. Also, maintain their pride, and expose them as little as possible.
- In case you are handling an elderly individual, remember their skin can be extra sensitive. Hence, you must be careful and gentle while changing and cleaning the area.
- In case you notice any rash or broken skin, take note of it. Instantly, report this to the physician to get the prescribed medicines for the required treatment. Moreover, bedridden patients are most likely to get exposed to skin issues, including skin infections and breakdowns. In such cases, initial diagnosing is crucial.
- Look for diapers that hold the correct size. If the diaper size is too small, it won’t keep the contents, and as a result, it could hinder circulation. Whereas, if a diaper is too big will enable the contents to leak out.
- After the diaper change, straighten the linen, making sure it is clean and free of creases. Dirty or creased linen increases the chance of developing patient bedsores.
It is good health practice to change a soiled diaper as early as possible since wearing a wet one for a prolonged period contributes to the formation of bacteria that can cause unpleasant smells and diaper rashes. That is why diapers require to change without any delays.