Shaving and care after shaving are not only a hygienic, but also an aesthetic must for men and women – whether on the face, on the legs or in the genital area. Because hair removal alone is not enough. After shaving, the skin needs moisture and individual care. To ensure that your skin looks radiantly beautiful even after shaving, I have compiled the most important care tips for you before, during and after shaving in this article.
Why should you care for your skin after shaving?
When shaving, the skin is severely irritated by the razor . In addition, shaving always removes part of the top layer of skin, which can lead to reddening of the skin and irritation (razor burn). Shaving can also cause tiny injuries to the skin (micro-injuries) that allow bacteria to enter and cause inflammation (pimples). Also: The wrong care of the skin after shaving can worsen skin irritation and slow down the easing of the irritation after shaving.
Care before, during and after the shave: step by step to clear skin
Step 1: It all comes down to preparation
The following applies to both men and women: Before shaving, you should remove minor impurities and old, dead skin cells , for example with a peeling. Because: Impurities cause additional friction when shaving and can trigger inflammation.
Important: Daily, thorough cleaning of the face or skin is essential, because clean skin is the prerequisite for a smooth shave . For example, an antibacterial but mild skin washing lotion can be used for this.
Also, wet your skin to open pores and apply shaving foam or shaving gel. The hairs become soft, stand up and are easy to shave. Because: Dry hairs make the shaving process more difficult.
Step 2: Use the razor properly
If you want to shave your skin: Only use a razor with sharp and fresh blades . This reduces the risk of skin injuries. What you should also consider when shaving and for ideal care:
- Rinse the blade with hot water from time to time while you shave to eliminate germs.
- Before going over areas that have already been shaved a second time, allow the skin to rest a little .
- For longer hair, always move the shaver in the direction of growth to avoid injuries and irritation of the skin. Then apply shaving foam again and you can also shave against the direction of growth, i.e. from bottom to top.
Tip: If you have dry and sensitive skin, I recommend a dry shave, as the blade does not come into direct contact with the skin.
Step 3: Cream & Co. – gentle care after the shave
After shaving, you should first remove hair residue, shaving foam or shaving gel from your skin with warm water . Also cool the skin briefly with cold water after shaving so that the pores close and dirt, grease and bacteria do not clog the skin. In this way, the shaved zones also calm down more quickly.
Then care for the skin with a lotion or face cream tailored to the skin type . The sensitive skin of the bikini area and the legs also need extensive care.
Tip: If the intimate area is red and slightly inflamed after shaving, soothe the irritated areas with a healing ointment.
Depending on the condition of your skin, make sure you use the right ingredients in the after-shave care products. It doesn’t matter whether you have dry, sensitive or oily skin – with a cream from Dr. Ute Schick, your skin feels good and can recover quickly after shaving.
Below you can find out which highly concentrated active ingredients I use in my creams depending on the skin type.
Take care of sensitive skin with gentle care products and appropriate active ingredients without essential oils and fragrances:
: The active ingredient has a calming effect on irritated skin after shaving, reduces redness and has a positive effect on the skin’s regeneration process.
- BISABOLOL is comparable to real chamomile in terms of its effectiveness. The ingredient inhibits inflammation, is antibacterial and soothes the skin.
Dry skin calls for ingredients that moisturize:
intensively moisturizes men’s skin without clogging the pores. In addition, the innovative active ingredient tightens the skin after shaving for men and makes it elastic again.
- HYALURONIC ACID & PENTAVITIN®: Both active ingredients provide the skin with moisture and help with dry and stressed skin.
Learn more about oily skin!
- PENTAVITIN binds moisture in the skin over the long term. It ensures a visible and long-lasting improvement of the skin’s surface.
- ACNILYS® is an active ingredient made from the berries of false myrtle. It unclogs pores and soothes irritated and inflamed skin after shaving.
How does post-shave care differ for women and men?
Men’s skin is structured differently than that of women and therefore requires different shaving care than women’s skin. Men’s skin produces more sebum and is oilier than women’s skin . Therefore, she does not need greasy creams, but moisturizing care . Oily men’s skin tolerates alcohol-based after-shaves very well. They disinfect the skin and prevent inflammation caused by bacteria.
Men with dry skin , on the other hand, often struggle with redness. You should avoid using alcohol-based aftershave and instead use moisturizing wash lotions and soothing after-shave balms . Fatty creams are suitable for caring for dry skin after shaving.
The skin in the intimate area is one of the most sensitive areas of our body. I therefore advise women to apply a soothing after-shave lotion after shaving their intimate parts. You should avoid perfumed or alcohol-based care products that could cause irritation. Or you can use extra mild baby oil to care for freshly shaved skin.
Aftershave care: 3 mistakes to avoid
- Incorrect care products: Inappropriate care after shaving and products that are not individually tailored to your skin type can increase irritation and redness.
- Dull Blade Razors: Avoid using razors with dull blades. The duller the blade, the more pressure you have to put on the skin to get a clean shave. The unpleasant result: irritated and possibly injured skin.
- Use a dirty towel: Always use a clean towel to dry your skin after shaving. Because in a towel that has already been used, germs of all kinds can collect and promote the formation of skin impurities.
The most important questions and answers about care after shaving for men and women at a glance
What cream should you use after shaving?
After shaving, depending on the skin type, rich creams should be applied to the shaved skin to soothe and moisturize it.
What can you do against razor burn in the intimate area?
Since the skin in the intimate area is very sensitive, a soothing after-shave lotion or mild baby oil should be used after shaving to give the skin the moisture it needs and prevent razor burn.
What soothes the skin after shaving?
After shaving, cooling and moisturizing care creams are just right for stressed skin.
How do I find the right care after shaving?
Face creams and other after-shave care products are available in every drugstore. However, since every skin is different and needs different care, you should use an individual face cream to care for your skin after shaving . This contains exactly the active ingredients in a high concentration of active ingredients that your skin now needs.