Globally, millions of people confront pain daily that can last for months or even years. Physical pain is the most common reason people visit doctors and the leading cause of disability globally. The only treatment approach is painkillers that come with harmful side effects.
Owing to this, many sufferers are turning to natural alternatives to get Physical Pain relief. One such fantastic approach to pain management is cannabidiol (CBD). CBD is steadily getting popular in the healthcare industry owing to its healing properties.
Over the last few decades, scientists and experts have tested CBD for its analgesic properties, with promising results. So, let us dive more into the mechanism of how CBD helps relieve physical pain.
CBD and Pain Management
CBD is one of the several compounds in the Cannabis plant. It is available in various forms, such as oils, edibles, creams, lotions, and more. One of the best ways to take CBD is edible, such as CBD gummies. Unlike other forms, CBD gummies are easy to take and discreet. They come in various flavors and shapes for the best user experience.
CBD is the most potent natural alternative to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). According to research, CBD is effective in managing and treating many types of pain. The mechanism of CBD in our body is illustrated through its close interaction with the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
The ECS is a specialized system in our body that regulates many bodily functions, including pain response, immune responses, sleep, appetite, and many more.
The ECS naturally produces endocannabinoids (neurotransmitters) that bind to the cannabinoid receptors in our nervous system, creating a balance within all the bodily systems. CBD interacts with these endocannabinoids and affects the receptor activity, thus regulating pain response and reducing pain.
Now that we know the essential pain-relieving property of CBD, let us learn more about how CBD helps relieve various types of physical pain.
- Chronic Pain: Chronic pain is one of the major concerns worldwide and is very debilitating. Since chronic pain can last for years or even a lifetime, it is necessary to address it early. Unfortunately, people are left with popping harmful prescription medications. On the other hand, CBD provides natural pain-relieving effects. It interacts with the C2 receptors in the brain which helps manage inflammation and reduce chronic pain. A review article revealed that CBD was an excellent pain management remedy for chronic pain without harmful side effects.
- Arthritis and Joint Pain: Joint pain and arthritis affect your mobility and hampers your daily activities. Hundreds of people have begun their CBD journey to manage arthritis and joint pain. Since CBD is a promising anti-inflammatory agent, it goes well for arthritis treatment. Doctors recommend using CBD both internally and topically to better recover from joint pain and arthritis.
- Neuropathic Pain: Neuropathic pain arises from damage to the nerve cells or the nervous system. This pain manifests as numbness, tingling, muscle weakness, or sharp and stabbing pain. Generally, anesthetics, opioids, or antidepressants are used to relieve neuropathic pain. But these drugs cause harmful side effects, unlike CBD. A study revealed that CBD oil could work as a treatment for peripheral neuropathy. CBD significantly reduced intense pain in such patients.
- Migraines: CBD is found to minimize the frequency of migraines and alleviate the pain. Since CBD has analgesic (pain-relieving), anti-inflammatory, and antiemetic (preventing nausea and vomiting) properties, it helps to provide relief from migraine headaches.
- Cancer Pain: Cancer patients have to deal with significant pain while undergoing chemotherapy. CBD provides relief from cancer-related pain. It also helps manage the treatment-related side effects, such as nausea and vomiting. CBD targets the α3 glycine receptors in the brain and spinal cord to produce an analgesic effect that reduces pain.
How to Find and Use the Right CBD Product for Pain?
CBD is available in various types, including:
- Full-spectrum: A type of CBD that contains all of the components naturally found in the Cannabis plant, including CBD, tiny traces of THC, and terpenes.
- Broad-spectrum: This type of CBD includes all of the components except THC.
- Isolates: These contain only CBD; they are the purest form of CBD
Moreover, the CBD market is full of various forms of CBD for a wide range of potential pain-relieving benefits – CBD oils, gummies, topicals, and many others. You can use a combination of CBD products depending on the severity of the pain.
Whatever be the pain severity, keep track of how the product affects you to find the suitable product and dosage that caters to your needs.
Since every individual is different, the dosage depends on the body weight, severity of pain, and the quality of the product chosen. So, make sure to buy from a high-quality and trusted CBD company for the best results. Verify the label and look for brand transparency.
CBD is here to stay, considering its popularity and effectiveness in managing physical pain. It is steadily becoming a promising alternative to prescription medications for different types of pain.
It is recommended to consult your healthcare provider or doctor before using CBD for pain relief like any other pain management option.