It is better to prevent nail fungus than to let it develop. Otherwise it is very possible that you will come into contact with the fungal spores and become infected. Then there may be a long healing process ahead.
Prevent nail fungus with well thought-out foot care
Unfortunately, in certain situations you can encounter fungal pathogens and become infected with nail fungus. Since it is an infectious disease , you should pay close attention to your foot hygiene.
- You should clean your feet regularly and thoroughly. Foot care should be done at least once a day.
- This means that when you wash your feet, you don’t just run water over them. Feet should be cleaned with soap in the same way as the rest of the body.
- Do not wash the feet superficially, but also between the toes. If you cannot reach your feet easily due to restricted mobility , a foot bath will help . Here you can soak your feet in soapy water for longer, which in the end is equivalent to washing your feet.
- After washing, it is important that you dry your feet well and completely. It is also important to pay attention to the spaces between the toes. Any moisture you leave between your toes can encourage athlete’s foot and subsequent nail fungus to develop.
- It is just as important that you put cream on your feet after washing and drying them. Also pay regular attention to the nails. Cut the fingernails round and the toenails square in shape .
- You should only slip into socks and shoes when your feet are completely dry. If necessary, a hair dryer will help if you cannot reach your feet easily.
- When it comes to body care products, you should make sure that you use pH-neutral soaps , as they do not attack the protective acid layer on your skin. This keeps the skin healthy, which in turn is important to have a protective barrier against the fungal pathogens.
The fungal pathogens can be found in many places that you visit in everyday life and in your free time. Particularly warm and humid places such as saunas and swimming pools are risky places. It would be good if you went to such places with healthy skin on your feet.
- Even the smallest injury to the feet can lead to the fungal spores penetrating the skin and multiplying there. Athlete’s foot develops completely unnoticed . If you do not treat it, the pathogens can spread to the toenails and cause nail fungus. In the worst case, you can also transfer it to your hands.
- Therefore, you should be careful not to injure your feet. It would be good not to wear shoes that are too small for you or shoes that constrict your feet.
- Always wear the appropriate footwear for each job and activity performed. This includes jobs that require you to wear work shoes for certain jobs, and sporting activities that require special footwear. For example, go hiking, wear suitable walking shoes, go swimming on the rocky beach, wear flip-flops.
- Shoes that are too tight or ill-fitting can cause pressure points and blisters. These injuries make filamentous fungi rejoice, they take advantage of such opportunities and invade.
- So always try on shoes before you buy them and get advice on the right size. Break them in for several days before intended use.
- When shopping for shoes, you should bring your own socks with you. Never slip on socks provided by the shoe vendor. You can’t assume that no stranger hasn’t worn them at some point.
- You should also only try on open summer shoes such as flip-flops with socks. When you get home, you should clean newly bought shoes and spray them with a disinfectant spray.
- Since the fungal spores love the warm, humid climate in shoes, you should change your shoes every day. This allows the worn pair to air out and dry out for a day or more before wearing these shoes again.
Final hygiene tips
Not only outside, but also in your own living area, the fungal spores can lie in wait for your feet. If a person from the family circle has become infected, there is a risk of infection within your own four walls. In order to have a preventive effect here, you should wear slippers at home and not go barefoot.
- If someone is infected, you should not share washcloths, towels or other laundry.
- Always wash infected laundry separately from other laundry. Pay attention to a washing temperature of at least 60 degrees. It would be better if you chose the 90 degree program.
- A healthy diet can empower everyone in the family. Make sure you strengthen your immune system , then filamentous fungi will have a hard time infecting the organism. The German Society for Nutrition recommends consuming 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, you should implement that.
- Nail care products used, such as files or nail scissors, should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected after use. Then you can also use these devices together. There are also devices that remove calluses. These should only be used personally.
- Go swimming or in the sauna, wear slippers or bathing shoes to minimize the risk of infection. Disinfect your feet before putting on your socks at the end of the visit.
- If you tend to sweat in your shoes, you should always wear socks in your shoes. Both socks and shoes should be breathable. When buying, also make sure that the materials are not synthetic. Cotton socks and leather shoes or canvas shoes are therefore suitable.