If you want to gently straighten your hair, there are a few tips and tricks you can follow. In this article, we will tell you how best to protect your hair. You will also learn how to keep them smooth for as long as possible afterwards.
Straighten hair gently – with these tips it works
Heat is very damaging to the hair, especially in the long term. Therefore, you should consider the following tips when straightening:
- Before you start straightening, you should definitely use a heat protectant. This wraps around the hair like a kind of protective coat and prevents it from drying out due to the high temperature.
- If your hair is wet, you should never use a straightening iron. Because the hair must be completely dry to use the straightening iron.
- When wet, we recommend using a hot air brush or a hair dryer and a round brush.
- When straightening your hair with a straightening iron , you should straighten small strands one after the other. This will ensure that all strands are properly straightened. It is best to only go over the individual strands once. Because the more often you straighten your hair, the more it is damaged.
- Proceed as quickly as possible when straightening and prevent the straightening iron from staying in one place for too long. This can lead to overheating, which ends in split ends or hair breakage.
The right temperature when straightening hair
In order not to destroy the protein layer of the hair, it is important that you set your straightening iron to the right temperature.
- If you have particularly thin and fine hair , that means it’s easy to shape with heat. However, this type of hair is also easily damaged by heat. It is therefore sufficient in this case if you set the straightening iron to around 130-150°C.
- Normal hair is not as easily deformed as thin hair. Also, it can take more heat. Therefore, a temperature of around 170°C is recommended for a normal hair structure.
- If you have thick hair, you may need to heat it at 180°C to get the desired result.
- But not only the thickness of your hair is important here, but also how damaged it is. If you have healthy hair, it can take much more heat than dry and damaged hair .
- Under no circumstances should you use a temperature higher than 180°C, as this will damage your hair enormously and risk breaking it.
This keeps your hair straight for a long time
To keep your hair straight for as long as possible after straightening, you should observe the following tips:
- Before you work on your hair with a straightening iron, you should blow-dry it with a round brush and a hair dryer or a hot air brush. This makes it easier to smooth them afterwards and they stay smooth for longer.
- It is also important that you comb your hair well before straightening. In order to get rid of all knots, it is advisable to run through the individual strands with a comb as well .
- It can also help to blow-dry your hair with the hair dryer on the cold setting after straightening. In this way you fix the hair structure and prevent the hair from frizzing again.
- After straightening, use a hair oil . This ensures shine and a longer-lasting hairstyle. Alternatively, if you don’t have hair oil, you can use a few drops of coconut oil.
Straighten hair without heat – how it works
Heat is very damaging to your hair, so avoid using your straightener too often. To avoid heat, you can try the following alternatives:
- The cold setting of the hair dryer allows you to straighten without heat. Use a round brush and blow dry your hair strand by strand. Although this takes longer than with hot air, it pays off in the long run.
- Even big curlers can tame curls. To do this, wind the individual damp strands onto the curlers and wait until the hair is dry. After that, the hair is not completely straight, but it falls in gentle waves and is frizz-free.
- Another popular method is to wrap the hair around the head. For this you have to wait until your hair is almost dry. After that, you need to tightly wrap strand by strand around the head. To keep it in place, the strands are secured with bobby pins . When the hair is dry, it can be removed again.
- If you’re straightening your hair just because it’s very frizzy, you should consider new hair care products. A good conditioner and a nourishing hair treatment that advertise moisture and smoothness can work wonders here.
- The hair tie method also straightens your hair without heat. Make a tight ponytail for this. Now tie hair elastics around it at the same distance of about 2 to 3 centimeters until you have reached the end. When the hair is dry, the hair ties can be removed.