The one thing every wig wearer worries about is, if people can tell that what they are wearing is a wig. I’m sure you must have gotten many nice compliments whenever you rock a new synthetic or human hair wig. But over time the compliments have become fewer, some days you may go a whole day without a single compliment about your hair. Well, that’s what happens when you don’t take proper care of your wig.
There’s nothing worse than being in a grocery store or shopping mall and wondering if everyone is staring at you because they can tell the hair isn’t really yours. Firstly, they are not really staring at your hair, there’s probably a paper towel or goods right behind your head. And secondly, whether or not people can tell if you’re wearing a wig doesn’t only depend on the quality, but also on how well you take care of it.
Taking proper care of your wig is essential in maintaining its intended style and preserving its lifespan. To properly care for your wigs, you need to know how to clean wigs without damaging them. Today’s post will give you all the necessary tips you need to properly care for your synthetic and human hair wigs.
Tips to properly care for your wigs
To keep your wig looking fresh, fuller, and more natural follow the self are tips below:
1. Do not overuse your wig.
To keep your wig fresh and healthy, do not overuse it. Wearing a wig every day will result in color fades, running threads, entanglements and the overall appearance will diminish. It is best to have more than one wig so you won’t have to wear the same wig every day.
2. Do not wash your wigs too often
Washing wigs is a good way to care for your wig, but when you wash them too often you’re at risk of destroying it. Rotating your wigs will help distance the days between washes.
3. Use high-quality products to maintain your wig
Ensure that you only make use of good conditioners and shampoo on your wigs. As we all know, not all conditioners and shampoos are made equal. Do not use conditioners or shampoos made from harsh chemicals that can damage the wigs.
4. Use proper wig-washing techniques
Washing your wig without using the proper techniques will cause the wig to wear out over time. To properly wash your wigs, follow the techniques below:
- Step 1: Soak the wig for a few minutes in soapy water. Then, comb the shampoo through the hair gently. Avoid rubbing or massaging the product into the wig hair, because it will result in residue buildup, which clumps the wig and causes damage to it.
- Step 2: Use warm clean water to rinse the wig, and comb thoroughly. Repeat the process until the soap is totally gone. Remember, do not use hot water.
- Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 using your conditioning product.
- Step 4: Use a wig brush or a detangling brush to detangle your wig.
- Step 5: Do not use a hairdryer on your wig, always air dry them. The hot air from a hairdryer can permanently damage human hair or completely melt a synthetic wig.
5. Do not use a curling iron on your wig
Just as heat tools can damage your hair, the same is true with wigs. When you make use of heating tools on your wig, it results in the wig hair becoming damaged, dry, split ends, and the wig will lose its natural shine.
6. Do not sleep or shower with your wig hair.
No matter how tired you are, remember to remove your wig before taking a shower or sleeping.
7. Keep your wigs properly
When you are not wearing your wig, ensure that it is properly stored. Do not keep your wig in a hot environment, keep your wig in a cool room. You can keep a small humidifier in the room where you store your wigs, and remember to keep the wig upright.
8. Maintain a good and healthy hair
Most people neglect their hair just because they put on a wig every day, and that’s wrong. When your hair is good and healthy, you prevent residues, grease, and oil from seeping into the wigs. A wig feels more comfortable when you have healthy hair.