The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is one of the world’s leading curriculums for Classes 1 to 12. It prepares students for competitive examinations and guides them towards the leading universities in the world.
The textbooks and teaching methodology are aligned to the objectives of the Central Government’s education policies. The syllabi of leading nationalised exams like JEE Main and NEET is based on CBSE curriculum for Classes 11 and 12.
Therefore, CBSE becomes one of the top choices for parents and students regarding the selection of schools for admission. Many government-run and private schools in Pune and the rest of the country follow the CBSE curriculum.
So, how do you choose which school is right for your child?
Here are some important parameters you can keep in mind when choosing the right CBSE school in Pune:
- The Academic Core: You need to decide whether you want your child to focus more on academics or stress on all-round development. For example, CBSE has academic scores as its focal point due to its roots in India, but some schools require equal student participation in co-curricular activities. These schools are also continually adapting to the needs of the world evolving around us. They focus on imbibing real-life skills and broad vision among students to foster learning beyond classrooms.
- Flexibility: If your child does not have a fixed interest in subjects and wants to explore other options, the school must offer them the flexibility to do so. Since high school is the gateway to college admissions, the academic pursuit they invest in matters that are most important. For example, CBSE primarily offers three paths for a student to choose after Class 10 – Science, Commerce and Arts. If your child has a clear interest in either, the school should provide appropriate guidance and academic training to help them excel. However, if your child has extracurricular or co-curricular interests, the school should also offer the same amenities. Your child shouldn’t miss out honing their skills because of the absence of any opportunity or lack of facilities.
- College Admission: Your child’s high school education should offer a smooth transition to college. What they study in high school should prepare them well to choose their academic track in college. If your child has interests in academics, CBSE is the right choice because of its intensive subjects. It will help your child in cracking difficult entrance exams. If your child wants to apply for global universities, the Cambridge or IB curriculum can prove helpful, although the CBSE curriculum is also recognised worldwide. Choosing a particular curriculum will not be a hurdle if your child has a clear goal for their future.
- Social Skills and Value System: The school besides academics also play a large role in establishing social skills and the correct value system in a child. Many international schools following the CBSE curriculum aim to provide holistic development to the students. They focus on the academic as well as co-curricular activities for the students through their well-planned curricula. They arm the students with the requisite skill sets for the future like empathy, cultural awareness and higher-order thinking.
It is essential to understand a school’s philosophy towards education. Speak to the educators of the school to understand their approach. Ask important fundamental questions: Is the school focusing primarily on academics, or does it offer equal opportunities for students to excel in sports, arts & crafts, etc.?
- Infrastructure: Look around the school’s infrastructure to understand whether they have everything your child needs in the future. Are their playgrounds adequately sized? Do their classrooms have enough ventilation and can support the size of the class? If the school relies on technology, is the faculty adequately trained for safe practices?
- Academic Performance: As much as extracurricular activities and a diverse learning experience is important for a student, their academic performance shouldn’t be compromised. The school must show excellence in academics through their average exam scores, at least at the district and state levels. A stable or rising record of academic performance indicates high-quality teaching, especially for STEM subjects. When enquiring about the school, ask the counsellors about how the students have fared in the university admission processes or competitive examinations.
Holistic education makes your child a valuable part of society and nurtures them to become responsible global citizens. Your child does not need just academic knowledge, but an excellent all-round development. Look at the school fee structure while the right CBSE school can offer all-encompassing education in all aspects — sports, extracurricular activities, leadership skills, or moral values.