The process of immigrating to the United Kingdom may be lengthy and expensive. Many people are struggling financially since the average cost of applying for a stay permit is £1,048, not including other charges such as the Immigration Health Surcharge. The policy’s goal is to help those who might otherwise be unable to afford the fees.
What is the procedure for requesting a charge waiver?
The UK Home Office established the Fee Waiver Policy to help those who are unable to pay the fees connected with their immigration applications. This decision was not made on the basis of feelings but rather in line with the law. Case law has shown that the Home Office cannot demand money from those who are unable to pay its fees because they are filing human rights petitions.
Who Gets to Take Advantage of No-Fee Provisions?
The applicant’s application must be based on a claim of human rights in order to be eligible for a fee waiver.
Acceptance of Fee Waiver Requirements
If the applicant meets the following criteria, the Home Office will pay for their expenses.
- Unable to pay the required fees
- Lacks the resources to sustain themselves and/or is on the verge of poverty.
- has a low enough standard of living that providing for a child’s special and essential requirements is not a priority.
Fee Waiver Application Review Process at The Home Office
The Home Office gives each request for a fee waiver serious consideration. The first problem is that the applicant may not have enough money to cover the application cost. The evaluation procedure consists of the following stages:
- Whether or not the applicant has “surplus income” remaining after paying for necessities like shelter and food is the primary criterion used by the Home Office.
- This means that the applicant should have adequate disposable income after paying for needs such as food, shelter, clothing, and utilities.
- The Home Office looks at the applicant’s whole financial picture.
- If you have a job or are self-employed, you may count that money as employment income. This might be full-time, part-time, or even temporary work. The applicant’s savings, whether in a bank account or some other location, are considered.
- The Home Office will carry out any checks required internally with relevant authorities before reaching a decision.
Documents Required and Applications
Fee waiver requests follow a separate process from regular immigration applications.
Following is a detailed rundown of the application process and the required paperwork:
Requests for fee reductions are submitted electronically. Please note that this application is separate from your main immigration application.
Proof of Financial Struggle Applicants are expected to provide evidence of their financial situation to back up their claim of financial hardship.
- Proof of regular employment income, such as pay slips if applicable
- Checking and savings account statements detail the applicant’s income, expenses, and savings in great detail.
- Rental or mortgage agreements: These might highlight the applicant’s monthly rent or mortgage payments, highlighting their financial commitments.
- Once the Home Office approves the applicant’s request for a fee waiver, the applicant will be issued a Unique Reference Number (URN).
- This is a crucial piece of information that links your fee waiver request to your primary application.
- The primary immigration application must be submitted no later than 10 business days after the applicant’s receipt of the URN. Meeting this date is crucial to ensuring the charge waiver is still in effect.
The fee waiver scheme is a bright spot in the generally bleak landscape of UK immigration. It’s proof that the United States is serious about giving people of all socioeconomic backgrounds the same shot at fulfilling their immigration dreams. The Fee Waiver Policy ensures that people can exercise their rights without financial restrictions by streamlining the payment process.
Candidates need to have a deep understanding of the Fee Waiver Policy since familiarity will not be enough. If you have a firm grasp of the subject matter and meticulously collect the necessary proof, your application may have a far better chance of being approved.
My Legal Services and similar groups provide candidates with the knowledge and resources they need to navigate the complicated application process. Considering the complexities of the immigration process, you can google “immigration solicitor near me” and find some of the best consultants.