Although there are many aspects that influence the achievement of a company’s objectives and its productivity, one of the most important has to do with how its employees act and work. A point where job performance becomes vitally important. Discover how employee monitoring software helps you measure and, above all, improve the performance of your employees.
What is job performance
When we talk about job performance we are referring to the quality of the service or the work performed by the employee within the organization. Here they come into play from their professional skills to their interpersonal skills, and that directly affects the results of the organization.
Ultimately, it is about how an employee behaves and does their job – and how that impacts the business, both positively and negatively. That is precisely why it is essential to measure it. Not only because a bad performance can harm the company, but because a good one is capable of increasing motivation and bringing us closer to our final goal.
In any case, it should be noted that results are not everything, but it must be borne in mind that these are only the partial consequence of job performance. In fact, many other factors play a role. This is very evident in the case of commercials. For example, even if a salesperson does his job well, his sales are more than likely to fall as a result of a general economic crisis.
Job performance: what aspects to evaluate?
When it comes to how to evaluate an employee’s job performance , these are the aspects that must be taken into account to ensure proper performance measurement:
- Productivity and quality – An employee must be guided by specific objectives and meet them within the established deadline. This is what is called productivity. A base that we can always control through a productive workforce and providing the ideal tools for the worker’s performance to be as efficient as possible. Because in addition to productivity, there must also be quality.
- Efficiency – Beyond productivity and quality, efficiency is responsible for encompassing both aspects in a whole. In this way, efficiency basically consists in the fact that an employee delivers his work on time, under the established objectives and that both the company and the client are satisfied with the result.
- Presence in the work environment – Your employee is efficient, productive and his work is of quality but… how are his aspirations and ambitions going? Do you have a good relationship with the rest of the team or does your ego divide the organization? These more emotional aspects must also be taken into account when it comes to evaluating job performance.
- Attitude: attitude is also essential in job performance, in fact it affects productivity and the work environment.
- Effort: job performance can also be measured in these terms.
- Teamwork: coordinating properly with the rest of the team members is key to business results.
Performance measurement: qualities of an employee with good job performance
Good job performance is usually marked by a series of characteristics intrinsic to the person, in this case positive, among which we find:
- Be applied: as we said, the attitude, the effort, the disposition of the person is fundamental when it comes to finding solutions. Productivity, interest and commitment to the company affect results.
- Have learning ability: directly related to the above.
- Be of integrity: Companies want employees they can trust. This means that, precisely as company employees, they will make the most complete decisions and those that benefit the general interest.
- Be adaptable and flexible: to remain productive when changes occur in the organization.
- Have good interpersonal skills: to relate well as a team and with the rest of the departments.
How to evaluate job performance
Once we have determined which parameters we want to evaluate, we can choose the following performance measurement methods or evaluation systems :
- Evaluation of the job performance of a supervisor : in this case, the head of the department and the company must carry out an evaluation of the employee’s job performance. A recommended exercise to carry out after the first six months of incorporation of the worker.
- Self- evaluation: after the evaluation by superiors, the verdict can lead to a self-evaluation in which the employee is aware of his virtues and limitations, betting on reflection as the main engine of change during the following period.
- Peer job performance evaluation : As part of a human work team, peers can also be the best witnesses when it comes to evaluating the job performance of an employee who works in the same organization.
- Customer job performance evaluation : Is the customer happy with the result of their order? Try to carry out satisfaction surveys to check that the main recipient is happy with the final work and, therefore, with the performance of the employee involved in the project.
Why evaluate job performance
But why measure it? As we said, job performance directly affects the productivity of the company, but not only that, but measuring it allows:
- Detect errors and strengths : both in the execution of the tasks and in the adaptation to the employee’s position.
- Detect biases and external agents : a performance evaluation, sometimes, serves to detect if there is something that is affecting the performance of the employee and that has nothing to do with the company. That is, family agents, health and economic issues, and so on.
- Implement incentive plans : that encourage team motivation. If we reward good job performance, employees will strive to reach goals. And let’s remember that attitude is also rewarded, not just numbers.
- Establish training plans : for those employees who need it or for those who are very close to climbing their position. It is a way of promoting internal talent.
- Establish career plans : directly related to the previous point.
That’s all for now!